In April of the year 2000, a six-mile sphere centered on Grantville, West Virginia was displaced in space and time to Germany and May, 1631. The inhabitants of Grantville decided to start the American revolution early; the nobility of Europe were not amused.
The 1632 universe has spawned sequels including an anthology, Ring of Fire, 1633, 1634: The Galileo Affair, 1634: The Ram Rebellion, 1634: The Baltic War, 1634: The Bavarian Crisis, 1635: The Cannon Law and continuing issues of the 1632 universe's magazine The Grantville Gazette both as electronic and print editions.
This site collects in one place, all the technical information, archives, and files of interest to the happy habitants of the Baen's Bar 1632 Group. You are invited to browse this site, get involved in the discussion groups and even read the free e-book versions of the stories that started it all - 1632 and 1633.
In the right column, browse around the site for files and pages of interest to Barflies in general and those who would write in the 1632 Universe. If you want to include an up-timer in your story, you need to get your character from Virginia's Grid.
Eric says you can make up down-timers because there's
milyuns and milyuns of 'em. But famous down-timers … he may have plans for.
Potential authors need to check out the Author's Manual files and peruse Rick Boatright's "Dead Horses" article to see if your idea has been flogged to a pile of dog food.
In any case, You are welcome to browse, lurk, participate, smoke, maybe burst into glorious song or even flames. Stranger things have happened here … recently!
- October 2014: New Events Timeline spreadsheet now available.
- The 2015 Minicon will be held at Contemporal, June 24-26, 2015 at the Hilton North Raleigh-Midtown in Raleigh, NC. https://www.facebook.com/contemporal http://www.contemporal.org/
- July 2014: Revised Grid now available.
- January 2014: Iver Cooper's new novel 1636: Seas of Fortune has been released by Baen. Iver has posted his Author's Notes for the book.
- June 2014: Flint and Gannon, 1636: Commander Cantrell in the West Indies
- December 2013: Carrico, 1635: Music and Murder
- October 2013: Flint and Carrico 1636: The Devil's Opera
- June 2013:We are pleased to announce the creation of the Ring of Fire Press, which will be reissuing certain materials originally published online in the Grantville Gazette.[more...]
- March 2013: Mike Barthelemy's topographic maps available from this fine website
- September 2012: Eric has posted a Recommended Reading Order for the 1632 series.
- February 2012: A new FAQ document:Time Spike character grid[RTF], listing all the time displaced people from Time Spike and related stories
- September 2011: Notes and Videos from the 2011 Minicon.
- January 2011: Writing Excuses 5.21: Alternate History
Howard Tayler and Dan Wells have Eric Flint and Mary Robinette Kowal as their guests on a podcast! Eric talks about 1632, Shadow of the Lion, Crown of Slaves and others while providing insights into writing alternate history and why he enjoys it.
Go listen. About 20 minutes.
- How many Gazettes have you read? Is that all? Subscribe Now!